|First Appearance||Beta 1.0.0|
Geckos are passive mobs that are intended primarily to add more life and atmosphere into The Betweenlands, although they are key to discovering Aspects. They spawn in Coarse Islands, Patchy Islands, and Swamplands biomes.
Geckos are miniature lizards with small tongues and shaking tails. The orange variety spawns naturally, while there are other variations that are created by the player as a result of testing on the lizards.
When a Gecko sees a player within 7 blocks of it, it will run away, heading towards any nearby Weedwood Bushes if possible. If it manages to hide inside one it will make a large rustling sound and the bush will spew leaves. The Gecko will stay hidden for at least 2 minutes, and after that time it has a 10% chance of unhiding every tick if there are no players within about 7 blocks. If the bush is broken the Gecko will be revealed again. While the Gecko is hidden, its volume is reduced by 90% and it will occasionally make a faint rustle sound.
Geckos can be right-clicked with a Net to capture them as an inventory item. This item can then be right-clicked on the ground to release the Gecko as an entity there.
Sporelings have a chance to spawn while riding a Gecko.
Gecko Testing Edit
Geckos can be tested in order to discover the Aspects on Ground Items for use in Herblore. This can be done by first capturing them as an item using a Net and then right-clicking the item on a Gecko Cage. Then, they can be fed any Ground Item by right-clicking the cage with the ground item (with an Herblore Book in the inventory). The Gecko will react in a certain way, either by changing appearance or emitting particles. A message will be displayed that will note one of the Aspects found on the Ground Item used; it will also display a second message saying either that there are more aspects on the item to be discovered, or that all of the aspects on the item have been discovered. From this point on that Aspect can be viewed on the item with a simple shift key over its tooltip when the Herblore Book is in your inventory. An article will also be made in the book detailing this discovery. There is also a cooldown for testing ingredients on an individual Gecko, and the Gecko will eventually die after having been tested on too many times, requiring a new one to be caged.
These are the various different messages given for each of the Aspects; what the messages describe is not actually visible on the Gecko unless specified.
- Ordaniis - Enhance: The gecko's scales seem to be glowing slightly.
- Celawynn - Stomach: You can hear its belly rumbling and it seems to burp a lot.
- Yeowynn - Health: You've never seen a healthier gecko, it's bursting with energy.
- Azuwynn - Muscle: You can see its muscles twitching uncontrollably.
- Freiwynn - Vision: Its eyes are pulsating.
- Dayuniis - Mind: The gecko is walking around like a drunkard and looks around in a schizophrenic manner.
- Fergalaz - Earth: The gecko's scales seem to become rock hard, it can barely move. (Gecko turns into the tan variant).
- Yunugaz - Wind: The gecko seems light, and its breath sounds like a hollow wind.
- Firnalaz - Fire: Its scales have a red glow and it breathes a hot breath. (Gecko turns into the red variant).
- Byrginaz - Water: It's drooling, sweating and peeing around its cage.
- Armaniis - Desire: It seems very calm and looks at you with loving eyes.
- Geoliirgaz - Void: The gecko has an empty look in its eyes and doesn't seem to respond to anything. (Gecko turns into the pale brown variant).
- Yihinren - Form: Its scales became puffy and its head looks... different. (Gecko turns into the strange green variant).
- Byariis - Corruption: The gecko is chewing furiously on its tail and looks around as if possessed. (Gecko turns into the twisted dark brown variant).
- Alpha 3.2.0: Aspect caging functionality fully reintroduced.
- Beta 2.0.0: Aspect caging functionality temporarily removed.
- Beta 1.0.1: Tweaked health value.
- Beta 1.0.0: Introduced.
|The Betweenlands Mobs|
|Passive||Blind Cave Fish • Dragonfly • Fire Fly • Frog • Gecko • Mire Snail • Sporeling|
|Neutral||Lurker • Pyrad|
|Aggressive||Angler • Blood Snail • Chiromaw • Dark Druid • Leech • Peat Mummy • Shallowbreath • Silt Crab • Sludge (Smol) • Swamp Hag • Tar Beast • Termite • Wight|
|Utility||Harlequin Toad • Tar Minion|
|Boss||Dreadful Peat Mummy • Primordial Malevolence|
|Currently Unused||Temple Guardian|